I am a freelance choral conductor, facilitator, composer and arranger with a particular interest in choral singing and social inclusion. I specialise in working with amateur singers and lead community choirs. I run workshops that facilitate personal growth and development through singing. Put simply, I enable people to be brave and to surprise themselves as choral singers. I bring out their best.
I am known for the quality and excellence of my work, and I lead with patience, kindness, and creativity.
My practical choral work is backed by many years’ experience as a music director of a host of youth and adult choirs, designing concerts and experiences for singers.
My PhD research into community choral music underpins my work. I graduated in December 2017 from the National Music Therapy Research Unit at The Melbourne Conservatorium of Music (The University of Melbourne). My research explored the role of membership in the Melbourne Gay and Lesbian Youth Chorus (now, shOUT Youth Chorus), what it meant for members to sing in the choir, in relation to each member’s identities as performers and as individuals of diverse gender and sexuality. I learned about the many ways singing in a choir can foster social inclusion. I integrate these things into everything I do.
More about Ben’s musical background
- Nine years’ experience leading community choral groups, musical projects and singing workshops
- Formal qualifications in music, specialising in aural pedagogy and the Kodaly method (University of Queensland)
- An experienced artistic leader:
- Founding Music Director of the Footscray Community Choir (2016), based at the Footscray Community Arts Centre
- Music Director from 2009-15 of the Melbourne Gay and Lesbian Youth Chorus
- Assistant/Associate Music Director of Melbourne Gay and Lesbian Chorus from 2009-2014
- Music Director in 2013 of RhythmNSoul Choir
- Music Director in 2015 of the Kooyong Chamber Players string ensemble
- An experienced freelance choral, orchestral and band leader who has worked with: The School of Hard Knocks community choirs; Melbourne Singers of Gospel; Low Rez Male Choir; Cloud9 Women’s Choir; VicBar Community Choir (a choir of Barristers established by the Victorian Bar Association!); and, the Melbourne Rainbow Band
- Commissioned composer for choirs (Brisbane Pride Choir) and choral arrangement consultant for the The South of Sixty Project
- A current singer with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra Chorus, and former singer with the Melbourne Gay and Lesbian Chorus, the Melbourne Singers of Gospel and the Concord Vocal Ensemble
- Singing workshop facilitator and an expert in teaching non-singers to sing! Recent workshops for Peninsula Pride and The Gawler Foundation
When not working with choral groups, I am an avid follower of international politics, Australian foreign policy and all things German…
If you’d like to know more, please contact me!