I am a freelance choral conductor, facilitator, composer and arranger with a particular interest in choral singing and social inclusion. I specialise in working with amateur singers and lead community choirs. I run workshops that facilitate personal growth and development through singing. Put simply, I enable people to be brave and to surprise themselves as choral singers. I bring out their best.
I am known for the quality and excellence of my work, and I lead with patience, kindness, and creativity.
My practical choral work is backed by many years’ experience as a music director of a host of youth and adult choirs, designing concerts and experiences for singers.
My PhD research into community choral music underpins my work. I am based in the National Music Therapy Research Unit at The Melbourne Conservatorium of Music (The University of Melbourne). I research how singing in a choir can foster social inclusion, and integrate the things I learn in my studies into everything I do.
More about Ben’s musical background
- Nine years’ experience leading community choral groups, musical projects and singing workshops
- Formal qualifications in music, specialising in aural pedagogy and the Kodaly method (University of Queensland)
- An experienced artistic leader:
- Founding Music Director of the Footscray Community Choir (2016), based at the Footscray Community Arts Centre
- Music Director from 2009-15 of the Melbourne Gay and Lesbian Youth Chorus
- Assistant/Associate Music Director of Melbourne Gay and Lesbian Chorus from 2009-2014
- Music Director in 2013 of RhythmNSoul Choir
- Music Director in 2015 of the Kooyong Chamber Players string ensemble
- An experienced freelance choral, orchestral and band leader who has worked with: The School of Hard Knocks community choirs; Melbourne Singers of Gospel; Low Rez Male Choir; Cloud9 Women’s Choir; VicBar Community Choir (a choir of Barristers established by the Victorian Bar Association!); and, the Melbourne Rainbow Band
- Commissioned composer for choirs (Brisbane Pride Choir) and choral arrangement consultant for the The South of Sixty Project
- A current singer with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra Chorus, and former singer with the Melbourne Gay and Lesbian Chorus, the Melbourne Singers of Gospel and the Concord Vocal Ensemble
- Singing workshop facilitator and an expert in teaching non-singers to sing! Recent workshops for Peninsula Pride and The Gawler Foundation
When not working with choral groups, I am an avid follower of international politics, Australian foreign policy and all things German…
If you’d like to know more, please contact me!